Sunday, November 7, 2010

Lydia Brockman's Final Journal Post

Day One: I embroidered a tree with a wool/silk floss.

Day Two: I used water colors to create the color blocking. Then I outlined the shapes and filled in with a black cotton embroidery thread.

Day Three:I embroidered large loops with a cotton floss on silk. The loops were then tightly twisted and tacked down. I cut the twisted masses off the silk and then they tacked down to the journal pages. The mass is about 6in wide.

Day Four: I wanted to experiment with the incredible abilities of wool, specifically how wool wicks moisture from one place to another. Using a wool thread I embroidered a simple design directly in the paper. The paper was then soaked in water over night. The paper was placed on an incline, with a single wick extending from the embroidered paper placed in a plate of logwood dye. The wool was left to wick for 3 hours.



Day Five: A further attempt/experiment at wicking the dye through embroidery and on the
paper.



Day Six: A simple drawing of arrows, then filled in with water color.

Day Seven: Once again I used the wicking abilities of the wool embroidery thread. This time I embroidered on silk, then allowed the dye to wick through the design.




Day Eight: The drawing was done with a permanent marker, then filled in with water colors.

2 comments:

  1. great job. like that you told us about the process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I like seeing photos of the progression.

    ReplyDelete