Tuesday, November 23, 2010

DAY 4: Angeles (Angie) Jonske

For today's piece, I couldn't help but continue with the same concept as yesterdays piece on being bombarded by media and advertisements. This piece, titled "Abandoned By Greed?" is about how, in a lot of ways, we are brainwashed and manipulated as a society to be something that we aren't, whether we want to or not. We are pressured through media, Hollywood, society, government our environment and peers to be a certain way, think a certain way, act a certain way and dress a certain way as well as have the 'right' car, 'right' friends and 'right' house, 'right' technology, whatever 'right' might mean.












"Abandoned By Greed?" close up

Mixed Media: house paint, oil pastel, ball point pen, correction fluid, pencil, lithography pen, crayon


3 comments:

  1. Thumbs up from me. . . I'm going to share my poem with you now.

    Lord, I’m going crazy and my Wii called me fat.
    I’m trying to cure it with Slim Fast and Prozac.

    I need to quiet voices inside my head.
    The ones that keep saying to go with Geico instead.

    They say that I can be all I want to be
    If I get the right cell phone plan from AT&T

    Then Donna wants to give me an information brochure
    On how costly education will buy me a career that’s secure.

    One would think a talking dog would say something profound
    But Buckley barks about instant credit and a new location downtown

    Someone said I could Advance America with a cash advance
    But who said it? Was it Check into Cash or was it Title Max?

    Another voice reminds me the economy is going down hill.
    But I can save myself if I bundle my cable, internet, and phone bill.

    I don’t care about endless sell-a-thons or special red tag days
    I ain’t buying no Fords, no Chevys, no Toyotas, no Kias or Hyundais.

    Shut up stupid voices. I don’t have enough cash to make you disappear.
    Oh Lord please have mercy on post-industrial consumer-crazy pioneers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is angeles kate...i like ur poem! well said! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha...now i am signed in on my own account :) thanks again kate for sharing ur poem and for your compliment! - angeles

    ReplyDelete